Charter Members 1879

First Baptist Church was organized on January 27, 1879 by 26 people who were meeting at Chapin’s Gall on NP Avenue.  Their first pastor was a supply pastor, Rev. George Vosburgh, who only stayed for a few months.  The church was incorporated on July 20, 1881 and a new building started in the summer of 1881..

Places of meetings:

1879 - Home of T.W. Swift (3rd Ave N Near Roberts Street),

Summer 1879 - Fargo Opera House (Chapin's Hall),

1879-80 - McHench (?) Hall,

1881 -  Public School Building,  First house of worship was built on First Ave. and 8th Street.

1904 - Sanctuary added to old building

1904-5 - Stones Music Hall during building of new church

5/14/1905 - New building dedicated

1926-26  - Educational Building added to Sanctuary 

1/30/1927 - Educational Building dedicated 

1959 - New Sanctuary 

 

Charter Members  - 1879

 

  • Mr./Mrs. James S Campbell
  • Mr./Mrs. John J. Shotwell
  • C.J. Emerson
  • D.B. Emerson
  • L.B. Emerson
  • Mrs. A.F. Smith
  • Mr./Mrs. W.P. Burdick
  • Mr./Mrs. Charles E. Brown
  • Charles H. Beattie
  • A.F. Lane
  • Mrs. F.A. Elder
  • Mrs. N.B. Pinkharm - Her husband was elected the 1st Cass County Attorney. He was an Assistant United States Attorney & served in the state senate.
  • F.R. Evans
  • Mr./Mrs.Rundell
  • Kate R. Haskins
  • Harry Sloggy
  • Mrs. Abby Sloggy
  • J.F. Burger
  • John R. Haugue
  • Fred P. Ester
  • Mrs. M.E. Hall